The Hirschi Family

The Hirschi Family
Andrew, Rachel, Jake, Gracie.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy Halloween


We had a good one this year. We all dressed up and I felt like I was on top of things. I don't know about you but every year I feel like I am running myself ragged trying to be everywhere and you would think just simplify, well it is not that easy. I want to go everywhere. This Halloween it was just me and the kids (no babysitting) and we went to Andrew's school, I was a PTA mom or room mother, is what they called them when I was a kid and I was so happy to be there. I adore Andrew's and Gracie's teachers they are loving and nurturing and enjoy little kids. I feel like they enjoy their innocents and I really approve.


At Andrew's school we played games, they made spider hats and frosted cookies. I brought a gross game, pin the wart on the witch. The kids chewed bubble gum and then blindfolded they tried to stick it on a poster of a witch. One little girl had never had gum before, because it was bad for her teeth and after her turn, she begged me for more. Oh no!
Next we went to Jake's work and there we did everyone's makeup and showed off our costumes. Half of the office dressed up and this was a big change from last year. I think it is Jake's influence, he loves Halloween; I think it might be his favorite holiday. He is a Hirschi afterall. (they like candy)


We went over Lunas and Joey & Nathans. Then it was off to Ogden. First we stopped at our friend, Holly house and they recreate Hogwarts and I tell you it is impressive. They have a big yard and when you walk down the long driveway there is a 9 3/4 train stop. With luggage and Hedwig. Then there is the fat lady over to the right and she asked for the password and is so much sweeter than Mrs. Black, who sat there years before, screamed names and insults. Rita Skeeter (Holly, our adopted auntie) and Guildaroy Lochhardt were there immediately signing autograph and writing false stories. Next we ran into Dumbledore and Hagrid and there was Luna with Buckbeak. there was a dragon smoking in the tree. They had a zipline where you could slide down and random bystanders threw quaffles at the kids. This was one of my kids favorite parts. They had a Three Broomsticks and there they served pumpkin juice (thick apple juice). Then we went to the sorting hat and tamed the monster book. Gracie want to adopt the monster book and kept petting it and went back for another snuggle. Mrs. Weasley passed out the treats, which were a truffles packaged like a golden snitch. Professor Trelawley read Andrews tea leaves, which had the grim glued in the bottom of a porcelain tea cup. Dang Andrew got the grim and she read Gracie's palm, we found out that she loves her Mommy and Daddy and cats. Andrew's favorite part was talking with Olivander who taught kids how to cast the "expecto patronus" spell and across the pond a stag lit up (a deer with white Christmas lights). He told me later, as he was holding my hand, that his two happy thoughts (because he went to there twice) were he loves his Daddy and he loves his family. What a dear. As we were leaving we saw the Dursleys getting Aunt Marge out of a tree, Vernon and Dudley were counting his presents and Dudley has a cute pink curly tail. We love this tradition and Holly and her family are amazing and so creative.


I forgot to mention that our Aunt Jaynie and Uncle Thom came with us and Jaynie was the Hogwarts police, correcting names and making sure everyone got it right. I think they are going to be Tonks and Lupin next year.


From there we went to Grandma and Grandpa. We went trick or treating around the neighborhood and Gracie peed in her Dorothy costume. Yes the one I made in one day and stayed up to late to finish). Oh well, it was a busy, but fun day.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! That looks like a fun party. Jake's costume is freaking me out.

The Brandon Family said...

YOu did a god job on Gracie's costume. You all looked great. It looks liek you had a good time too.